Friday, April 1, 2016

INTERVIEW with NICKY PEACOCK, author of BATTLE OF THE UNDEAD series

BAD BLOOD: BATTLE OF THE UNDEAD, Book I
Nicky Peacok
Evernight Teen
Ages 14 +
“I am Britannia. I am your protector. I will fend off the hungry hordes of undead hands that reach toward you. I am your steadfast defender. I will stand between you and the zombie masses as they try to taste your flesh. I am strong, unyielding, and dedicated to your survival. All I ask from you… is your blood.”

A 500 year bloody game of vengeance will need to be put on hold if vampires are to survive the zombie uprising. Bitter enemies, Britannia and Nicholas must work together to save un-infected humans, delivering them to a stronghold in Scotland.

Unable to drink the zombie blood, vampires need humans to stay alive. But will they tell the survivors who they are, and what they want from them? Will Britannia be able to hold back her vengeance? Is survivor Josh the reincarnation of Britannia’s murdered true love? And can she bring herself to deliver him to the safe hold?

Survival instincts run deep, but bad blood can run deeper.
 
AUTHOR INTERVIEW:
Tell us about your publishing journey...
I did what most wannabe authors do, tried and failed several times. I then find out about the anthology market for short stories. Being shorter, they were easier and quicker to write and by checking publisher call-outs and giving them want they want, you're more likely to get accepted. Next thing I knew I had over 35 stories published and decided to start writing novels. I now have two book series with Evernight Teen.

What do you love about being an author?
I love the freedom of being able to write anywhere and that people enjoy reading my work. As an avid reader myself, I love nothing more than getting lost in a good book, having a brief escape from the dull ordinary world - if I can do that for others then that's an awesome achievement.

If you could have dinner with any literary character, who would it be and what would you eat?
Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games - I'd take her to an all you can eat buffet. I think she deserves it.

If your book was to be made into a movie, who would you cast as the leads?
I always mentally cast my books - this keeps me consistent in character and appearance. I've always seen Emma Watson as Britannia and Andrew Garfield as Nicholas. 

Vampires - do you prefer them as sexy leads or blood hungry monsters?
Actually, I'm more in the monster camp. Reading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend I think that vampires make for a rather scary threat. Intelligent, can blend in, array of worrying supernatural skills - hmmm, now where's my crucifix?

If you had a time machine, which era would you go back to and why?
I'd love to visit the 1920s. Great fashion and parties - I'm definitely a secret Flapper. 

What life advice do you wish you'd been given sooner?
You can't please everyone. It really is a one way ticket to insanity if you try. The best advice I can give is to look after yourself and do what you want to do. You can't really go wrong then - unless of course you're a sadistic serial killer, then I'd advise a little restraint! 

If you were a supernatural creature, what would you be and why?
I think a witch would be great - spells can cover a multitude of powers. Although I kind of like faeries too - but you'd never know whether you'd be full grown or a tiny Tinkerbell. I'd hate to be the size of a pencil! 

Where do you write best? 
I write best in a local stately hotel that's a five minute drive from me. It's old and beautiful and I can sit undisturbed for hours with a pot of tea and home-made biscuits and write away.

What was the last book you read, and what were your thoughts on it?
I read Scarred Souls by Tillie Cole. It was a departure from my usual paranormal tastes, but I still really enjoyed it. A tense romantic thriller with a lot of violence and a bit of sauciness. 

If you didn't write in your genre, which other would you prefer and why?
I'd love the research of historical fiction. Fortunately with urban fantasy and horror you can incorporate historical within them. I'd really enjoy trying steampunk too.

Where can fans find you online?

No comments:

Post a Comment